Domestic Human Resocures Intern
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Domestic Human Resources Department provides subject matter expertise and strategic HR counsel to ensure that the organization’s US domestic human resources policies and practices are aligned to allow the organization to carry out its mission effectively and efficiently.
MSF-USA’s DHR functions incorporate a full-range of HR functions including benefits and wellness, recruitment, hiring, training and development, onboarding, and EEO / DEI / Employee Relations. This range of responsibilities and competencies provides an encompassing insight into the many issues, concerns, and challenges inherent in managing a global workforce.
DHR’s role is critical in ensuring that the unique legal requirements as an employer in the US, and the impact of cultural practices are taken into consideration while developing strategies for the many
differences among the various MSF sections.
Knowledge of employment-related laws and practices is required to minimize the risk to MSF as an employer and to guarantee that all employees, volunteers, and field workers are protected.
DHR is responsible to:
- Ensure the elaboration and the implementation of the Domestic HR Management Policy.
- Investigate and resolve employee relations and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) matters.
- Conduct intake, investigation and resolution of staff reports related to allegations of professional and behavioral misconduct.
- Help navigate MSF-USA human resources practices in collaboration with key Movement interlocutors to ensure alignment where possible for a global MSF workforce.
- Safeguard compliance with US labor and employment law.
- Oversee and administer benefit and wellness programs including medical and 401(k) for domestic staff.
- Conduct the Employee Feedback Survey, officewide HQ training, and HQ staff Training & Development.
- Provide tools and HR metrics for job analysis and performance.
- Provide strategic advice and planning for DHR and international issues.
- Support the Movement with mobility for hosted and seconded positions.
- Coordinate with Field Human Resources to ensure synergies and operational effectiveness within US legal constraints.
- Recruit and retain HQ staff.
The Human Resources Intern will support the activities of the Human Resources department. The activities include payroll and benefits administration for domestic and field staff, updating the HRIS (Human Resources Information System) and performing numerous administrative duties. They will also have the opportunity through working in the office, to learn about MSF's programs and operational functions in the United States. This internship is ideal for anyone interested in human resources or administration for a non-profit.
The Domestic Human Resources Intern will provide administration of duties to the domestic and HQ staff, while gaining practical experience in and learning about human resources. They will learn about human resources administration for a large non-profit organization and the general workings of a large international humanitarian aid organization.
The Domestic Human Resources Intern will be expected to perform various tasks:
- Update HRIS systems with demographic information
- Perform data entry and data cleaning in HRIS systems and other administrative support tasks
- Prepare new hire employee files
- Assist in recruitment and onboarding related tasks
- Support reviewing accuracy of onboarding documents
- Generate employment verifications and offboarding letters for staff
- Support Domestic HR team with ad-hoc projects and office events
- Attend Lunch & Learn (L&L) presentations, All Staff meetings, and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
- Experience and/or education in HR practices, especially for a nongovernmental organization is an asset
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to execute tasks demanding focus
- Proficient organizational skills
- Able to work and think independently
- Skilled with Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of and experience with reporting software such as Power Bi
- Strong communication skills; verbal and written
- Focus on delivery of exceptional customer service
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF including Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
- A strong work ethic and commitment to professionalism
Expected to work in a hybrid remote work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, California) a minimum of 2 times a week.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
This internship is preferably to be located in our New York, NY office.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.