Certified Medical Assistant - On-Call
Hiring Wage: $17.04/hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Materials: Apply online at adacounty.id.gov/jobs
About Us: Ada County is a rewarding place to work. As an Ada County employee, you will serve in your communities, contributing to making Ada County a great place to live. Ada County employees are given opportunities for advancement and career growth as well as a generous Benefits Package for benefit-eligible employees including paid parental leave, competitive health, dental, and vision insurance, PERSI retirement plan, and much more.
The Medical Assistant provides nursing care to juvenile residents to include administration of medically prescribed treatments, in both routine and emergency situations, and performs related duties. The position is located at the Ada County Juvenile Court Services Detention Center.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The incumbent works under the direction of the Nursing Supervisor and supervising physician.
· Provides general health care to juveniles in detention;
· Administers treatments and medicines prescribed and supervised by the Medical Authority for juveniles;
· Assists medical and nursing staff at sick calls in performing examinations, taking histories, following up on all orders given, and setting up medications;
· Observes the physical condition and behavior of juveniles to ensure competent health care is offered;
· Follows through with procedures to contain the spread of contagious diseases and promote infection control;
· Schedules and prepares for all levels of medical attention;
· Coordinates special medical and transfer orders with security and outside medical providers;
· Provides educational sessions to juvenile residents and staff on medically related issues.
· Maintains current inventory of supplies;
· Performs related duties as required.
· Graduate of a medical assisting program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (AAMA) and have passed the Certified Medical Assistant exam and maintain a current, valid certification; or
· Successful completion of a Medical Proficiency Training Program as conducted by any branch of the United States Military. The course should be no less than 400 hours of classroom and practical instruction in the direct provision of primary care such that persons completing the course are able to function at the independent medic level;
· Must have one (1) year experience;
· Must be Basic Life Support certified or able to obtain certification within two weeks of hire;
· Knowledge of medical and nursing principles, procedures, and practices, medical equipment and supplies;
· Knowledge of laws regulating narcotics, medications, patients' rights of consent, pharmacology and indications for referral;
· Knowledge in trauma and emergency care and care of the psychiatric patient and those patients with chronic illness preferred;
· Ability to maintain professional relationships;
· Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, and patience;
· Ability to observe and understand physical conditions and behavior;
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to individuals and groups;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· This position requires shift work;
· If designated on-call, must be available for shift work during non-traditional hours;
· This position requires to be FIT tested for a N-95 mask;
· This position may involve caring for residents who are on isolation precautions;
· This position has been designated safety sensitive and therefore the incumbent is subject to random drug testing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Work is performed in and around a detention facility and the employee in this class is subject to inside environmental conditions;
· May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.;
· Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a general office environment to accomplish tasks.
Employee Benefits: Ada County recognizes that employees are our most valuable asset. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to benefit-eligible employees designed to support the health, wellness, and long-term financial stability of our employees and their families. Visit us at adacounty.id.gov/Human-Resources/Employee-Benefits to view details regarding our benefits package, including: paid parental leave, healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, and more!