Manager, Analytics, Reporting, and Insights (ARI)
The Manager, ARI is responsible for the direct management of 4-8 full-time employees, as well as consulting resources where necessary for larger projects. The incumbent will manage team resources, and the execute on analytics projects which span multiple departments across our hospital system. The manager oversees our data and analytics dissemination to hospital departments across the hospital through the maintenance, support, and development of our Balanced Scorecard SAS reporting platform and database, as well as our Tableau dashboard infrastructure. The manager will also be responsible for the development and delivery of reports and extracts via our electronic medical record system (Epic) using SQL and Clarity tools. The manager will ensure accurate and quality reporting of hospital data through these platforms, and devise strategies to improve the dissemination of these data and analyses in a quality manner that meets the department’s standards. The manager provides administrative leadership for the realization of our analytics strategy as it pertains to our broader organizational goals. This includes organizing projects, workgroups, and steering committees, as needed, to achieve timely resolution to issues and to achieve goals; working closely with internal stakeholders, BWH leadership, as well as Partners HealthCare stakeholders. The manager will work toward moving forward the vision and strategy of disseminating hospital analytics throughout our complex, multi-campus organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages 4-8 full-time staff which may consist of data analysts, business intelligence developers, data integration (ETL) developers, Epic report writers, analysts, and SAS programmers. Oversees recruitment, training, professional development, and evaluation of staff.
- Establishes, refines and implements a vision and strategy for disseminated performance metrics & analytics across the BWH organization, which includes Brigham & Women’s Faulkner Hospital and all inpatient, ED, surgery and ambulatory locations and staff
- Elicits data and reporting requirements from hospital administrators, clinicians, and other staff, using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, site visits, use cases, scenarios, data analysis, task, and workflow analysis
- Performs analysis of existing data sources and reports within the electronic medical record, PHS Enterprise Data Warehouse, and other internal and external data sources available in order to provide suggestions on strategy and tactical matters based on knowledge of available data and reports
- Identify and implement improvements in analytics and data delivery to BWH staff by leveraging knowledge of business intelligence, data warehousing and hospital analytics.
- Manage the implementation of a multi-year project to roll out Tableau dashboards to staff at all levels, including provider/surgeon performance dashboards in order to drive improvement in transparency, cost, and quality for BWH as a whole
- Responsible for managing project budgets, to deliver on analytics projects which require the implementation of new hardware, software, or deployment of temporary consultant resources
- Manage the decommissioning of our existing analytics platform, the BWH Balanced Scorecard, which has served to report high-level metrics to administrative and clinical staff over the past 15 years. This will include managing communications and expectations around data availability and training of the new tool
- Manage project dependencies and timelines while reporting status and issues and risks to appropriate audiences
- Collaborates with other BWH and PHS departments as needed, on an ongoing basis
- Represents DSS on internal and external committees or task forces as needed
- Ensure comprehensive Quality Assurance, and adequate documentation of programs, applications, and operational procedures as part of a project rollout
- As needed, performs data analysis against hospital systems such as Balanced Scorecard, SAS data sets, MS Access databases, Epic tools, external websites, and Business Intelligence platforms in order to glean meaningful insights and produce actionable reports for DSS customers
- Works with new and existing DSS analysts to share knowledge in methods of data analysis, summarization and presentation. Trains other analysts and end-users on key analytic and reporting systems and databases
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent in public health or related area strongly preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive experience in managing and leading complex projects and teams focused on data and analytics across multiple domains and content areas
- Respected leader with business intelligence/analytics, project management, health information technology and/or hospital/ambulatory clinical and/or operational experience
- Demonstrated experience managing cross-functional teams and projects, including managing project budgets to deliver projects on time and within budget
- Strong competency with MS Office products, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Working knowledge of SQL and Business Intelligence tools such as Business Objects, Tableau or others, as well as Data Integration tools such as Informatica required.
- Practical EHR experience is a plus
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively manage staff of varying levels of experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience with data warehousing, analytics, and reporting projects and resources
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with business intelligence, data warehousing and Big Data concepts and strategies
- Ability to plan, organize and manage projects, staff, resources, budgets and timelines; and to prioritize and delegate accordingly.
- Creative, self-motivated, possess good judgment and the ability to plan and initiate new and innovative activities.
- Demonstrated ability to execute strategy and achieve goals
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to focus detailed concentrated efforts to multiple projects and re-establish priorities as necessary
- Exceptional communication skills, including strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills required when working in a matrixed organization in order to partner with and influence others
- Takes initiative and has ability to work independently, while thriving in a setting requiring collaboration and teamwork for maximal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Attention to detail that ensures follow through on all initiatives, projects undertaken.
- Ability to be flexible, versatile and adaptable in day-to-day activities conducted in a multi-site environment.
- Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive issues and meet deadlines.
- Fast paced office environment that requires teamwork, collaboration, and flexibility.
- General day hours with flexibility to meet the demands of the position (e.g., some early morning or late evening meetings)
- Standard business environment with some travel between BWH and Partners sites
- May require travel for external training
- Organizes activities of decision support systems team as well as other BWH and Partners teams as needed for specific projects
- Manages project budgets and is conscientious about departmental operating and capital budgets.