Mechanical Summer Intern 2022 (Paid)
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: Kansas City, KS, US, 66106
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also through our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and sustainable rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with a two-day corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During orientation, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF's system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation payment assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
WORK LOCATION: System Wide
START DATE: 06/01/2022
END DATE: 08/9/2022
SALARY RANGE: $4,500 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
- Paid Internship
- SUMMER RELOCATION WILL BE REQUIRED. A candidate can be relocated to any location across the BNSF system (see System Map on www.bnsf.com).
- An ideal candidate should be very flexible regarding location.
- Work assignment could place an Intern anywhere on BNSF's 32,500-mile system.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This challenging program offers students the opportunity to learn about the working logistics of this fast-paced railroad. The summer will be spent in an assigned mechanical facility which could be anywhere on BNSF's 32,500-mile system. The Mechanical Department is responsible for maintaining the locomotives and freight cars that operate on BNSF’s network. During this assignment, the intern will shadow mechanical supervisors and craft employees; work on projects; and assist in supervising, monitoring and inspecting the maintenance and repair of locomotives and freight cars.
Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Observe, prepare and conduct job safety briefings with employees.
- Assist in ensuring labor and equipment is positioned to inspect, test and repair equipment to meet the needs of the daily plan.
- Lead process improvement initiatives with local workforce.
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
***This role does not involve design of railcars, locomotives or other equipment.
- Indoors and outdoors on a regular basis.
- Environment requires personal protective equipment (i.e. hard hat, safety glasses, safety vest and gloves) provided by BNSF.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Schedule could involve nights, weekends, and holidays as BNSF is a 24 x 7 work environment.
- Travel 10-90% as required by the position.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- I have a 2.70 or higher cumulative GPA with a degree in Engineering or Construction Management OR a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA with a non-Engineering degree.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to an assigned location within the BNSF Network for the summer.
- I have a valid driver’s license.
- Pursuit of a degree in Business, Engineering OR similar technical program.
- Experience working in an industrial, manufacturing, factory or technical environment.
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Previous experience working around heavy equipment.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at http://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Operations - Mechanical | Kansas City, KS | 66106
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Intern, Engineer, Supply, Logistics, Facilities, Entry Level, Engineering, Operations
Find similar jobs: