Facilities & Construction Internship (Fall 2022) - Multiple Locations
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Sparks, NV
- Austin, Texas
- Buffalo, NY
About the Team
Our team is aligned around three pillars - Design, Build and Operate. Focused on optimizing the space we have, finding the best solutions to our immediate term expansion needs, and devising and driving our long-term strategy. All of this under the guiding principle of sustainability.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed and considered by one of more of the following teams:
- Support the team with field support, documentation, permit issuance packages, and quantity take-offs
- Assist with production drawing, material investigation, renderings, design options, etc.
- Work cross-functionally to develop an integrated model delivery approach and lead clash detection sessions, focused on optimizing the construction process and driving quality and value
- Introduce, support, and oversee the implementation of industry-leading BIM technology
- Provide construction support to the design team (requests for information, alternative solutions for field issues) and develop and update piping specifications
- Support selecting chemical process system equipment (pumps, heat exchangers, filters, tanks, and pressure vessels)
- Prepare civil engineering design drawings, plans, and profiles
- Support the design and construction of industrial, manufacturing, and office facilities and related site infrastructure, including roadways and underground utilities
- Create design drawings, instrument schedules, and installation drawings
- Program PLCs to automate the process and mechanical systems
- Scope development of PFDs, P&IDs, and 3D pipe design development and specification development of equipment, piping, material compatibility analysis, etc.
- Coordinate with the construction team, on-site contractors, vendors, and suppliers for site laydown and logistics coordination
- Collect, monitor, and present construction project progress updates and goal reporting
- Review and expedite RFI responses and closeout
- Assist with design procedures, resource allocation, and project coordination to support the development and maintenance procedures for the facilities systems
- Create and build electrical drawings following construction
- Building single line screens into a power monitoring system
- Support quality and quantity adjustment efforts with contractors
- Schedule, track, and expedite mechanical and piping activities and installations
- Review and manage mechanical drawings and submissions
- Support the design and construction of new and existing industrial, manufacturing, and office facilities in our high-tech facilities
- Conduct structural analysis and design of concrete and steel structures
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Architectural Design, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Structural Engineering, or related fields
- Previous internship and project experience is a plus
- Strong capacity for both logical and creative thinking
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and evaluate priorities
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused
- Identify and implement continuous improvement activities for cost reduction strategies
- Some teams prefer previous experience with Revit, 3D modeling, Navisworks, Pipe-Flo, AutoCAD, or other related software
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).