Intern (Civil Engineering Student)
GAI is seeking a civil engineering student intern to join our Power Delivery team, to gain relevant skills and experience in Power Delivery Engineering. Required skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, organization, team-focus, and eagerness to apply learned engineering principles to solve real-life problems. This is a temporary position with a minimum of 12 hours a week and a 3 month duration. Additional schedules will be considered. The successful candidate must be eligible to work out of the GAI Homestead, PA office.
- Assist engineers and project managers with day-to-day project tasks as required for successful project delivery. Tasks may include:
- Preparation of Specification Packages
- Preparation of Structural and Fabrication Drawings
- Design and Analysis of Transmission Lines using PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, and PLS-Tower
- Design and Analysis of foundations.
- Analysis of existing and proposed structures with regard to Client and Other required codes, standards, and specifications.
- Performance of Electrical Clearance checks and calculations.
- Coordination and development of permits for Railroads, Roadways, and Environmental Crossings.
- Apply engineering principles to assist in the design of Power Delivery Projects.
- Must demonstrate attention detail
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Perform complex tasks typically following established processes.
Direction Received: Works under lead engineers and project managers to complete day-to-day tasks.
As a GAI Student Engineering Intern, this position is responsible for assisting a team of engineers and project managers with TRANSMISSION LINE designs. This individual should be technically focused and a strong leader with developed technical, communication, and computer skills.
- This is an entry level position with no experience required.
- Candidate should be enrolled in a civil engineering program at a Junior or Senior level.
Education and Training:
- Enrolled in a program to receive a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, preferably civil engineering, is required.
- Required classes: Statics, Material Science, and Structural Analysis.
- Preferred classes: Soil Mechanics, Steel Design, and Concrete Design.
- Willingness to learn new program and skills in Power Delivery.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical reports and procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and other business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff members.
- Required mathematical skills are commensurate with the technical or engineering discipline practiced (e.g., engineering calculations, design, etc.)
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of basic computer systems and software packages. Must be willing to learn software that is specific to Power Delivery Industry.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Transforming ideas into reality since 1958, GAI is an employee-owned engineering, planning and environmental consulting firm providing local expertise to worldwide clients in the energy, transportation, development, government, and industrial markets. We believe in community involvement and are committed to corporate responsibility including sustainable business practices that have long-lasting, positive effects on our clients, our employees, and our environment.