University Relations - IT Governance & Operations Intern - Chicago
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high-quality, cost-effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
** This ten-week paid internship is located in Chicago, IL. **
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position is responsible for actively participating in an internship program that leverages your skills, knowledge and capabilities within the IT Strategy, Planning and Governance function while exposing you to different methodologies and tools. This role will assist with supporting operational and governance processes for departments under the CIO by performing detailed analysis, comprehensive reporting to informing recommendations and insights for IT Executive leaders. Working closely with cross-functional teams in both our business and technical areas the IT Governance & Operations Intern is responsible for learning specific aspects of the processes supporting communications and reporting within the IT divisions. Additional project support, administrative tasks and ad hoc requests to support business needs.
- Comply with HIPAA, Diversity Principles, Corporate Integrity, Compliance Program policies and other applicable corporate and departmental policies.
- Maintain complete confidentiality of company business.
- Maintain communication with management regarding development within areas of assigned responsibilities and perform special projects as required or requested.
- Create a final internship PowerPoint presentation to share with department leadership covering the internship experience, the assigned project over the course of the summer, including the results along with any solutions or recommendations that can be leveraged by the department in the future.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Strong Microsoft Office background and case study experience is a plus
- Prior related business operations or work experience is a plus
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s or higher degree with an interest in the healthcare payer industry or beginning a career in IT business operations
- Grasp of how developments in technology drive changes to businesses
- Eagerness to learn, grow and contribute
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including clear and concise verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to absorb theories/concepts and develop frameworks to communicate with them
- Results-oriented with a continuous improvement mindset and an ability to grasp new and unfamiliar concepts
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize and support multiple projects
- Practical, developed PC skills, especially Microsoft 365, PowerPoint, Excel and virtual team collaboration tools (MS Teams, SharePoint, etc.)
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Operations Management, Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or other related degree
- Graduation date between December 2022 – June 2023
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States (currently, we are not offering this program under OPT or CPT or sponsoring work visas for these roles)
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real-world hands-on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities