Non-Metallic Materials Engineer Intern
Chemours is seeking a Non-Metallic/Fluoropolymer Materials Engineering Intern to join our Materials Engineering team! This position will report directly to the Leveraged Engineering Manager.
As a Non-Metallic/Fluoropolymer Materials Engineering Intern, you will work closely with the Materials Engineering team and Teflon™ Fluoropolymers Technical Service consultants gaining valuable experience through hands-on projects at the Chemours Discovery Hub. You will have exposure to real-time engineering work alongside other engineers to apply what you’ve learned in the classroom.
You will conduct and assist with failure analysis and quality investigations in support of Chemours manufacturing and R&D operations. Materials that will be worked with are fiberglass reinforced plastics (FRP) and various grades of Teflon™ Fluoropolymers (FEP, PTFE and PFA) linings and coatings. There may be opportunities to interact with vendors of non-metallic equipment, such as fabrication shops and sub-assembly suppliers to gain an understanding of the non-metallics technology environment.
Effective engineering co-ops will have the ability to communicate with impact, have strong self-awareness, and will be naturally inquisitive.
Location: Newark, DE
Hours: Regular full-time schedule of 40 hours per week
Term: May – August 2023 (Dates are Flexible)
Candidates must be able to commit to at least a total of three (3) months as an intern.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Write and present technical summaries to the engineering department internal customers and peers.
- Collaborating with various internal functions (R&D, Analytical, Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing, Product Stewardship & Regulatory) to meet the needs of our customers.
- Understanding the various lab operations and basic testing required to increase knowledge of failure analysis and damage mechanisms.
- Benchmarking of Fluoropolymer products used in similar applications.
- Improving test methods for current Fluoropolymer products.
- Will be responsible for prioritizing tasks and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
The following is required for this role:
- Enrollment at an accredited college or university as a rising Junior or above at time of assignment
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Materials Science Engineering
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and computer skills
- Previous experience with tools such as Minitab, SEM, DSC equipment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Organized and self-motivated
The following is preferred for this role:
- Previous internship experiences
- Experience in a manufacturing and/or laboratory environment
- Competitive Compensation
- Paid Site Holidays and Paid Day of Service
- Temporary Housing Assistance
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Strong Inclusion and Diversity Initiatives
WE’RE CHEMOURS. A DIFFERENT KIND OF CHEMISTRY COMPANY.
We are driven by our purpose to create a more colorful, capable, and cleaner world through the power of chemistry.
Built upon a 200-year-old legacy and a world-class product portfolio, we bring everyday convenience to virtually everything people touch—in industries ranging from automotive, paints, and plastics to electronics, construction, energy, and telecommunications. We bring solutions that are better, safer, more reliable, and more sustainable, through the power of chemistry.
We see our people as our biggest assets. Instead of focusing just on what our employees do each day, we look at how they do it. By taking a different approach to talent development, employee engagement, and culture, our goal is to empower employees to be their best selves—at Chemours and in life.
The “ours” in Chemours represents everyone who works here. We’re thousands strong and always looking for the best and brightest to join our team.
Five fundamental, foundational values form the substructure of our culture as a multinational
corporation. They are core beliefs that guide and frame both our behaviors and our aspirations.
Our values are in part what differentiate us from others, making us uniquely Chemours.
They are—Customer Centered, Refreshing Simplicity, Collective Entrepreneurship,
Safety Obsession, and Unshakable Integrity. At Chemours, our values are where everything begins.
We were honored to be named a “Great Place to Work-Certified Company” for 2019-2020—our second consecutive year. We were also proud to receive a Gold Medallion Award from the U.S. Department of Labor’s HIRE VETS program in 2019.
Chemours is an equal opportunity employer
Chemours is an E-Verify employer
Candidates must be able to perform all duties listed with or without accommodation
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Candidates who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status) are ineligible