Stewards VISTA: Clinchco, Virginia - Community Engagement Coordinator
The historic mining town of Clinchco is working to transform a once coal-dependent economy to a thriving, diverse economy to foster future economic growth.
The program will focus primarily on economic development but will also include elements of community engagement and environmental stewardship. Conceptual town master plans (CMPTs) were compiled by the Community Design Assistance Center (CDAC) at Virginia Tech with input from the community.
A large portion of the VISTA's service will focus on evaluating the feasibility of proposed initiatives then identifying those that will move forward and providing subsequent support, such as the Tiny Business Village. The VISTA will provide project management, marketing, and administrative support for the TBV project.
As part of the community engagement work, the VISTA will routinely attend local government and support organization meetings to gain insight that will assist with prioritizing initiatives from the master plan that align with the county’s Strategic Economic Development Plan (SEDP). The meetings will also serve as means for the town to disseminate key information to various groups in the county.
Additional community engagement will come through the establishment of a Youth Entrepreneurship Program. Program goals include teaching youth about key elements when starting a business, key functions to operate a business, and resources generally available to help support businesses.
An environmental aspect of the VISTA program will involve assessing the viability of solar power for businesses and residents and seeking grant funding to offset equipment and installation expenses if participants choose to move forward. The town will seek professional development training for the VISTA through state and local Small Business Development Centers. The town will also seek “Solar 101” training, that is, training to provide a basic understanding and vocabulary around solar power.
- Help evaluate the feasibility of proposed initiatives, such as Tiny Business Village.
- Work to prioritize and finalize viable proposed initiatives.
- Work to obtain funding through grant writing and other means for various programs and projects.
- Engage in volunteer management efforts as warranted by initiatives.
- Community engagement via County Board of Supervisors meeting, County School Board meeting, Industrial Development Authority Board meeting, Local Town Councils’ meeting, Chamber of Commerce meeting, Tourism Committee meeting, and other meetings as designated by Clinchco town leadership.
- Written and oral communication skills will be utilized heavily to both disseminate information to and from the community.
Relocation Allowance (up to 750), Mileage Reimbursement ($0.40/mile), Childcare assistance, Training, Health Coverage*, Choice of Education Award ($6,895) or End of Service Stipend, Living Allowance ($48.18/day), Federal Student Loan Forbearance.
*For more information about health coverage, please visit https://americorpsvista.imglobal.com/.
Children/Youth, Housing, Environment, Community and Economic Development, Neighborhood Revitalization, Community Outreach, Ex-Offender Reentry, Public Safety, Entrepreneur/Business.
Conflict Resolution, Environment, Leadership, Fund raising/Grant Writing, Public Speaking, Writing/Editing, Youth Development, Public Health, Communications, Computers/Technology, Team Work, General Skills, Business/Entrepreneur, Community Organization.