AmeriCorps Community Projects Coordinator 2021
Full-time AmeriCorps Community Project Coordinators at YouthBuild Philadelphia will have the opportunity to contribute to YB Philly through fostering civic responsibility among our students, strengthening our community, and increasing student engagement. This position will work on community projects, student events, service learning, and academic enrichment.
***All candidates will be considered for either the Student Life or Workforce Development focus as detailed below.***
*****Student Life ******
- Plan monthly student engagement activities : cookouts, dances, trips, and prom
- Communicate value of service through fostering leadership in school experiences and opportunities
- Facilitate a service-learning workshops focused on social justice issues that affect residents of Philadelphia, and expose students to community organizations working on these issues
- Support and serve with student members & events, such as extra-curricular activities, on their vocation-service sites: *Construction (Advanced Construction & Green Energy) , *Health & Human Services (i.e. Healthcare, Child and Youth Development, etc), *Business Administration/Customer Service
- Communicate value of service through fostering leadership in vocation training & service experiences
- Facilitate a service-learning workshop focused on social justice issues that affect residents of Philadelphia, and expose students to community organizations working on these issues
General Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support the Restorative Practices, Climate/Culture of school programming
- Facilitate & participate in full-school community events
- Coordinate the community impact efforts for the entire student body through service-learning
○ Coordinate after-school and Saturday service opportunities for students by partnering with outside organizations and designing original projects
○ Plan school-wide MLK Day of Service project
- Support the school’s Saturday School academic-enhancement program ● Serve as a mentor
- Tutor students through in-classroom support and after school on a rotating basis
- Support student graduation through communicating value in graduation requirements
- Support students in career development planning and placements
- Attend all required trainings and staff meetings throughout service year
- Preferred Education: Hold a Bachelor's Degree (not required)
- Ability to serve full 12-month term of service from start date
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Have a strong desire to provide needed educational, technological, or community services to an underserved community
- Have initiative, flexibility, and motivation
- Have a good understanding of the myriad of challenges facing inner-city students
- Motivated self-starters
- Ability to be flexible
- Work well with a team
- A desire to work with high-need, low-income students
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Group facilitation
- Conflict resolution
- Organization skills
- Willingness to do occasional physical labor including: lifting, carrying, cleaning, painting, etc
- A living allowance of $20,000 for the one-year term. The living allowance is taxable, and taxes will be deducted directly from the living allowance and will be distributed biweekly, first by check than by direct deposit.
- All members are required to have health insurance. Should the member not have health insurance, YouthBuild Philadelphia will provide reimbursement of monthly premiums for individual health insurance.
- Transportation support
- Childcare coverage (if applicable)
- Loan forbearance with interest-accrual payment, and
- An education award of about $6,095 upon completion of the full term of service
How to apply:
Note: If selected, you will be required to reproduce the following items on the first day of employment.
● FBI - Criminal History Report
● PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
● PA Child Abuse History Clearance
● TB Test Results
● Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
● NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
The HR Department will provide the selected candidate with additional details regarding clearances and other job requirements.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.