Mental Health Program Specialist
POSITION SUMMARY: Develops, implements, and documents individual programs for individuals with behavioral health and forensic issues who are residents of The Natale Civil Unit. Provides supervision and programmatic decision-making. Completes mental status exams utilizing current knowledge of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version IV (DSM-IV). Provides supportive counseling and acts as an advocate to represent the individual's needs and rights with all outside support service agencies, families, etc. Assists and supports individuals in all activities of daily living. Designs and facilitates therapeutic groups. Plans and implements community integration plans.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement individual programs for individuals with behavioral health challenges and provide other individualized case management functions as directed by supervisor or director
- Provide supervision and program implementation
- Provide all appropriate documentation set forth by director and regulations including monthly summaries, medication administration recording, and individual behavioral/psychiatric assessments
- Provide mental status exam using the current DSM
- Provide supportive counseling to individuals with personal, behavioral, or social challenges
- Develop and ensure individual's adherence to behavior management plans
- Advocate for individuals with outside support agencies
- Interface with families and other interested parties within the limits of signed consents
- Design and facilitate therapeutic groups according to individual need
- Plan and implement community integration plans for individuals
- Maintain communication with medical physician, psychiatrist, and pharmacist as needed
- Maintain communication with appropriate ancillary service providers
- Assist and train consumers in all aspects of self- care in order to ensure maximal level of independence for that individual. These areas will include all aspects of personal hygiene, shopping, cooking, meal serving, budgeting, laundry, and housekeeping
- Ensure a safe and clean living environment for individuals
- Intervene in crisis situations in accordance with established agency protocol
- Encourage individuals in the constructive use of leisure time
- Escort individuals to and from day programs and appointments
- Attend scheduled staff meetings
- Facilitate resident group meetings
- Attend appropriate in-service as directed by supervisor and required by funder and regulatory bodies
- Participate as a member of the interdisciplinary team
- Conduct fire drills and building inspections and provide the appropriate documentation for same
- Report all problems or concerns to supervisor or director
- Remain on duty until relieved
- Maintain current certification/recertification of CPR, First Aid, and Crisis Intervention.
- Responsible for adherence to standards, procedures and schedules established by the program administration
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), crisis intervention and medication administration using agency-trained protocols
- Perform other duties as assigned
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Unit Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: None
CONTACTS: Elwyn personnel, Elwyn clientele, funding and regulatory agency personnel, families, outside health care providers, Base Service Unit (BSU) personnel, social security personnel, Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) personnel and other outside mental health providers.
- Bachelor's degree in human service field or related field, including but not limited to medicine, social work, psychology, counseling, nursing, occupational therapy, recreational therapy, healthcare administration, vocational rehabilitation, political science, special or elementary education, criminal justice, public health.
- One year experience in behavioral health field required; working with individuals with challenging behavior desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Must be able to perform CPR and crisis intervention techniques using agency-trained protocols
- Must possess excellent customer interaction, collaboration, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated basic experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook,
- Must have current, valid driver's license in state of residence, 3 years driving experience, and acceptable driving record
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFILE: See Physical Demands Checklist below which represents the general physical demands and environment conditions to which the employee holding this position must meet, in addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Elwyn will engage otherwise qualified candidates for this position whose disabilities may require reasonable accommodations to enable an individual to perform the essential functions.
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and identity, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, genetic information, disability status, military or veteran status, marital or family status, political activities or affiliations, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, and federal law.