Health Information Management Coordinator
JOB SUMMARY: Sycamores provides a spectrum of mental health services through various programs for populations of all acuities. Although it serves a variety of consumers, the agency focuses primarily on providing care to low-income and high at-risk youth.
The function of the Health Information Management department is to collect information in a timely manner, manage the information for accuracy, and completeness in compliance with governing agencies. Other functions include protection of the confidential information, but information is also available to staff and liaison for the use to improve the quality of care for this population. Health Information Management (HIM) professionals work in a variety of different settings and job titles. They often serve in bridge roles, connecting clinical, operational, and administrative functions. These professionals affect the quality of client information and client care at every touch point in the treatment of care delivery cycle. HIM professionals work on the classification of treatments to ensure they are standardized for clinical, financial, and legal uses in healthcare. Health Information Management professionals care for clients by caring for their health records. The Health Information Management professionals’ responsibilities include managing the client’s electronic and paper record throughout the records lifecycle, which includes from the time such records are created through destruction.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (These are the essential job functions for this position. The essential functions of this job include but may not be limited to those listed in this job description. Employees hired for this position must be able to perform the essential function of this job without imposing significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others.)
1. Oversees client records including but not limited to Department of Mental Health IBHIS; Avatar, Sycamores electronic health record system; document scanning, client paper record and utilize the State Meds system to verify client Medi-Cal eligibility.
2. Ensure client records are thinned, filing twice a week and scanning completed in a timely manner
3. Email monthly reports to site program leadership team. Verify accuracy of information prior to emailing the reports.
4. Verify current table of contents; label indexes for each section of the paper record and consistent chart labeling
5. Excellent time management skills combined with the ability to work on own initiative and exercise own judgment with discretion
6. Coordinate and participate in internal and external audits/record reviews by regulatory agencies.
7. Collaborate with site administrators and/or directors regarding documentation deficiencies.
8. Communicate with supervisor any concerns, issues, necessary training, or responsibilities which may need additional clarification and/or support.
9. Provides additional administrative support for the programs on site as needed.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
NOTE: The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
· High School Diploma AND/OR at least 3 years of relevant experience required.
· Maintains all required licenses and certifications.
· High level of ownership, accountability, and initiative
· Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
· Ability to quickly learn and implement new procedures and processes.
· Ability to positively and proactively handle employees concerns and prioritize multiple tasks under pressure.
· Highly flexible, punctual, reliable, and eager
· Strong organizational and analytical abilities
· Positive attitude and work ethic
· Incumbent should possess knowledge of Microsoft Office, HIPAA knowledge, and navigating multiple databases a plus.
· Detailed oriented, good organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
· Self-started, and work with minimum supervision.
· Must have leadership ability; and able to interact with agency staff as well as individuals outside of agency.
All candidates who are presented with a conditional offer of employment must satisfy a pre-employment background check, drug, and health screen.
Sycamores is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Further, Sycamores is a Fair Chance employer and complies with California Government Code Section 12952, Employment Discrimination: Conviction History.
Due to the direct contact we have with vulnerable populations, services we perform in the community, relevant CDPH orders, and CDC guidance, Sycamores mandates COVID-19 vaccinations. Accordingly, employees are required to (i) have a COVID- 19 vaccine which is authorized for emergency use by the US Food and Drug Administration or the World Health Organization by the first day of work OR (ii) obtain a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief. To request an accommodation, please notify Deon Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org. All offers of employment are conditioned on satisfying one of above. No inquiries of vaccination status will be made until after a conditional offer of employment has been extended. Sycamores prohibits discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic, including disability, perceived disability, or religion. Sycamores will not retaliate against any employee or candidate for requesting a reasonable accommodation pursuant to this policy.