Golf Operations Associate Internship Spring 2022
Position: Golf Operations Associate
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Reports to: Director of Operations
About the HJGT
The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour (HJGT) was founded in 2007 with the intention of providing junior golfers between the ages of 8-18 an opportunity to play exceptional courses in a competitive environment. The tour’s vision is to provide superb hospitality and make every event a memorable one. With play open to both males and females, nearly every junior golfer is eligible to participate in the HJGT. Currently the HJGT is the largest junior golf tour in the world hosting more 2-day nationally ranked events than any other tour.
In 2017, the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour announced a partnership with Nexus, an international hospitality and entertainment company backed by financier Joe Lewis and Tavistock Group, golfing great Tiger Woods and musician and entertainer Justin Timberlake, which will further our collective goal of growing the game of golf, broadening the Tour’s reach across the U.S. and around the world.
Under the direct supervision and mentorship of HJGT Tournament Directors and Staff Members, Interns will learn how to operate golf tournaments through their active involvement with all aspects of tournament operations, from course setup to course breakdown.
The internship will provide direct hands-on training and require extensive travel every weekend across the country, including: Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Canada. When interns are not traveling, they will be provided Business Operations training at the HJGT Headquarters through hands-on learning and development provided by the Senior Leadership team. There are eight operations teams across the country. Two of them live in full-time housing which is in FL or GA while the other six teams are travel teams and they live in hotels during the duration of their program. Travel teams spend one full week in each city they visit.
● Pursuing a degree in Business/Sports Management/Marketing or other related fields
● Preferred or must receive at least one (1) credit for the onsite experience from an accredited College/University.
● Must be within good standing of your College/University
● Provide extensive customer service to all players and families
● Tournament set-up and preparation includes, but not limited to: marking golf courses, tee and hole locations, scoreboard set-up, utility set-up
● Starting and scoring of players, on course rules officiating, pace of play management
● Sales and Marketing of Tour and Upcoming Tournaments
● Other duties assigned by management
● Knowledge of golf (Preferred)
● Ability to Multitask in a Faced-Paced Environment
● Excellent communication/writing skills
● Attention to detail
● Goal oriented
● Result driven
Why intern with HJGT?
● College Credit for getting hands on, once in a lifetime educational experience
● Travel across the country
● Access to golf courses
● Hands on experience and to learn every aspect of tournament operations and marketing
● Resume building workshops
● Classroom sessions with HJGT employees to assist with career planning
● Recommendation letters from full time employees
● Free housing and travel
The following items will be provided by the HJGT:
● Housing accomodations
● Van transportation to and from tournament
● Discounted or FREE golf at host venues.
● Stipend for meals each week
● Students will be able to use the HJGT internship for college credit. Your institution will decide the amount of credits. All interns MUST be enrolled in at least one credit. Accommodations are applicable if required.
● Hands on experience within the Golf Industry
● Assistance and exposure for obtaining full-time employment with HJGT or through its extensive network (examples include but not limited to NFL, NHL, NCAA, NBA, etc. )
There are countless benefits to participating in the HJGT internship program. Interns will meet and interact with various groups of people and get to know the future athletic Professionals of the PGA and LPGA tours. For example, interns will be around golf professionals, directors of golf, course superintendents, influential and successful sponsors, parents, and spectators. This internship is unlike many other programs because of the hands-on experience you will receive. Interns will be given daily tasks that have a substantial impact on the organization. Such as having the opportunity to develop social and intrapersonal skills, department management, and ability to problem solve in a high-intense, fun, fast, and interactive environment.
Due to the nature of the entertainment industry, the associate may be required to work varying schedules including nights and weekends to reflect the business needs of the company.
Hurricane Junior Golf Tour is an equal opportunity employer, and we will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or any other classification protected by law.