Legal Assistant - Civil
Hiring Wage: $20.40/hr
Status: Full time with benefits
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Materials: Apply online at adacounty.id.gov/jobs
About Us: Ada County is a rewarding place to work. As an Ada County employee, you will serve in your communities, contributing to making Ada County a great place to live. Ada County employees are given opportunities for advancement and career growth as well as a generous Benefits Package for benefit-eligible employees including paid parental leave, competitive health, dental, and vision insurance, PERSI retirement plan, and much more.
Performs administrative and technical work supporting multiple attorneys or judges.
· Types and formats legal documents, including correspondence, opinions/findings, pleadings and discoveries;
· Proofreads material for accuracy, completeness and punctuation;
· Schedules hearings, meetings, and appointments;
· Manages calendaring system, creates ticklers for case files and workload projects, and pulls appropriate files;
· Keeps calendars for court appearances, deadline attentions, interviews and appointments;
· Researches files for information;
· Requests all documents and media specific to each case for discovery;
· Works with extremely confidential and sensitive documents and media;
· Redacts sensitive information for purposes of safety and identity theft;
· Maintains reference files and associated logs;
· Sorts, files and indexes documents and materials;
· Answers written and verbal inquiries for routine information;
· Enters required data from cases into a computer database.
· Receives, records and transmits telephone calls to appropriate parties;
· Greets and directs guests and visitors to appropriate offices, locations or staff members;
· Answers written and oral inquiries for routine information and handles them independently;
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or equivalent;
· Minimum of two years legal experience and/or education;
· Minimum typing proficiency of 60 words per minute;
· Knowledge of Criminal Rule 16 preferred (for Criminal Division) or Civil Rules (for Civil Division);
· Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic;
· Knowledge of modern office equipment, practices and procedures;
· Knowledge of legal terminology and legal forms, methods and procedures preferred;
· Skill in the operation of a personal computer.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
· Work is performed primarily in an office environment and the employee in this class is subject to inside environmental conditions;
· May be required to lift up to 25 pounds;
· Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a general office environment to accomplish tasks;
· This position is subject to large workloads and stressful situations regularly.
Employee Benefits: Ada County recognizes that employees are our most valuable asset. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to benefit-eligible employees designed to support the health, wellness, and long-term financial stability of our employees and their families. Visit us at adacounty.id.gov/Human-Resources/Employee-Benefits to view details regarding our benefits package, including: paid parental leave, healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, and more!