2022 - Mechanical Engineer Summer Intern (Whiting, IN; Blaine, WA)
Mechanical Engineer Intern
In order to be considered for a role, you MUST upload your resume plus transcript and complete your online application at http://bp.com/uscampus.
NOTE: Remember, you can only apply for ONE opportunity. If you are not sure that this is the opportunity for you, please return to our Degree Matcher to review your other matches
The position of Reliability and Maintenance Engineering Intern will involve working within an engineering team of M&R engineers. The intern projects will involve collaborating with operations, maintenance, environmental & safety, and engineering personnel to provide technical support for operating units to improve system and unit performance.
Specific responsibilities may include piping system design and layout, piping flexibility analysis, pumping & fluid flow system design & analysis, control valve design & application, insulation/painting/coating design, utility system design & analysis (steam, water, N2, Air) define equipment repair scope including welding, inspection, and material selection, equipment reliability, equipment troubleshooting, root cause failure analysis, use of design codes (ASME, API, ANSI, ASTM), financial and business decision making (NPV, IRR, life cycle cost methodology), searching for and implementing new technology, construction support all in support of improving refinery availability.
The role involves applying engineering principles to the smallest of parts to the largest of industrial systems.
Whiting, IN; Blaine, WA
• Seeking a Bachelor’s Degree
• Must have cumulative and major GPA of 3.2 or higher
• BP will not support US Immigration sponsorship for internships or full-time/long-term employment
• Majoring in Mechanical or Civil Engineering
• Must be available for a continuous 12 week period for duration of summer internship
• Students should be in the 3rd year of a four-year degree program. Interns join us during the summer before their graduation date.
• Internships are not available for students who have completed their degree or who will graduate prior to the conclusion of the internship
As a first step, nothing prepares you better for a career with us than an internship. Our internship program provides hands-on, career-specific experience working full-time, usually during summer breaks. You’ll work on real projects that deliver tangible benefits and measurable results. At the same time, you’ll have the opportunity to learn about and help to solve some of the most important issues we face. You will experience genuine teamwork, and work alongside highly qualified and experienced colleagues, while you work on live projects and operations, using the latest equipment and technology. Opportunities exist in all major areas of BP to explore your career aspirations and develop the technical and professional skills you will need for a successful career, while earning a competitive salary and learning about the world of business. Summer internships last from 12 weeks, usually taking place in the summer before your final academic year.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses:
• Fuels – includes reﬁneries, fuels marketing and convenience retail businesses, together with global oil supply and trading activities that make up our fuels value chains (FVCs). We sell reﬁned petroleum products including gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel.
• Lubricants – manufactures and markets lubricants and related products and services globally, adding value through brand, technology and relationships, such as collaboration with original equipment manufacturing partners.
• Petrochemicals – manufactures, sells and distributes products, that are produced mainly using proprietary BP technology, and are then used by others to make essential consumer products such as paint, plastic bottles and textiles. We also license our technologies to third parties.
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.