Process Improvement Intern - Summer 2022
Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we've evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work.
We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability and develop insights in every part of our business.
Why people choose to work with us:
We strive to craft an environment passionate about mentoring.
Our interns love our state of the art workspace, where you’ll be sitting alongside our team, including leadership. We provide the opportunity to engage in start-up environments as well as long standing standard businesses and processes. Understanding the customer need and outstanding experience drives what we do.
We believe your new perspective will bring excellent value in redefining our business. We are confident you will enjoy coming to work because we work hard, have fun, and make you feel part of the team.
What you will be doing:
- New product concepts - we do a pretty good job leveraging products we already have, but we want someone to come in and think through some of our opportunities with a fresh set of eyes and suggest / try out some new concepts.
- Experience design - we have crafted a rudimentary experience to walk our partners (design firms, customers) through but it is ready for a make-over. From the first inquiry to delivery, we need you to build the overall experience and all the touchpoints in between. This is not a research project with a recommendation at the end. We fully expect you to help prototype this multiple times over the summer.
- Communication Strategy- We have a basic website, marketing material, cut sheets, but how might we tell the story of Steelcase Studio to build excitement? Look book? Video? We're looking for you to prototype, iterate and build a way to enhance how we tell our story.
- Business design - How might we think about leading metrics and measures to validate the hypotheses about the business quicker, in a "lean start-up" way?
Additional Potential Projects:
- Cost savings projects with engineers and procurement
- Identifying new vendor options for Steelcase
- Lean quality & standard work
- Developing new plant capabilities for Steelcase
- Evaluate current processes for improvement
Who You Are:
- Are you someone who doesn't settle for the way things are, but always seeks opportunities to improve?
- Are you the kind of curious person who wonders, "why is it done this way?"?
- Do you have excellent written and verbal communication skills?
- Are you able to prioritize tasks and balance multiple projects at the same time?
- Do you believe you are good problem solver and use solid reasoning?
- Studying: Supply Chain, ME/IE Engineering or Applied Engineering
- Proficient in Excel - (IE: pivot tables, macros, v-look up)
We are proud of our diverse and inclusive workforce, and we're always looking to get better. We value applicants who are comfortable interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else is all invited to apply.
We seek to find the best person to fill this role and will not discriminate based on race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by law.