Campus Undergraduate - 2022 Finance Sophomore Summer Internship
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
Our industry is rapidly evolving, and we need courageous, quick thinkers who can shape the strategic decisions that lead our business forward. Whether it’s negotiating with some of our largest global partners or creating next year’s financial plan, you can influence both our day-to-day P&L and the future direction of the Company. As part of the team, you can have the opportunity to learn and use the latest data tools and technologies and explore a range of roles to grow your career.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
We are looking for sophomore candidates with a strong-work ethic, intellectual curiosity, ability to build relations and an interest in financial services to be part of our summer leadership program. Students from all schools are encouraged to apply. Our sophomore internship program helps align with our commitment to make sure our colleagues are as diverse as our customers and the communities we serve by focusing on attracting promising students from groups underrepresented in the financial industry.
Whether you’re working with a business unit focused on consumers, small businesses, or major corporations, you’ll have the opportunity and resources available to make an impact. It sounds exciting because it is. Explore a Finance summer internship at American Express and earn the trust and respect of our customers and colleagues every day. The internship will be a general Finance internship that will provide opportunities to intern in one of the following functional areas of Finance: Corporate Planning & Analysis, Global Commercial Services Finance, Global Consumer Services Group Finance, Global Merchant and Network Services Finance, Controllership, Global Treasury, Global Tax and Investor Relations.
What type of work can you expect to do in Finance at American Express?
- Provide best-in-class analysis and decision support to the Finance organization
- Learn how to articulate decisions clearly and gain buy-in from stakeholders across the business
- Gather and analyze information from a wide array of sources; identify trends and articulate how those trends impact our businesses
- Obtain a comprehensive understanding of the business and its needs
- Hone analytical acumen, communication skills and the ability to tailor complex messages to the appropriate audience
- Ability to initiate and drive change management processes
- Strategic thought leadership skills and creativity
- Financial and analytical skills with an eye towards developing recommendations to drive growth for our businesses
- A strong work-ethic and robust interpersonal skills, showcasing the ability to build trust-based relationships within the finance team and with business partners across locations/geographies
- Ability to learn our business model and its key financial drivers
- Programming skills a plus
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelor’s degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2023 and June 2024
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the "EEO is the Law" poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf