Internship in Research (PhD)
The Research department at Dimensional is integral in providing an outstanding investment experience to our clients. The team produces high-quality, thought-leadership research on investments and financial markets that is of interest to and helps educate clients. Research is also involved in the design and development of the firm’s investment approach and the application of that approach through portfolio management and trading.
Research is a critical aspect to Dimensional’s business and how we support our clients. Our Research team has a global agenda and is responsible for research coverage for all strategies. Research is incorporated into every aspect of Dimensional's investment process, including identifying relevant drivers of expected returns, working with the Portfolio Management team on how best to design and manage strategies to pursue higher expected returns, and collaborating with the Trading team to improve execution.
Dimensional’s Research Internship is exclusively for top caliber PhD students who want to direct their passion toward investment strategy research. The Internship offers an opportunity to work on intellectually rigorous and stimulating challenges and provides real life experience into the different aspects of research at Dimensional. The Internship is open for application from to PhD students in finance, economics, engineering, physics, computer science, and mathematics who expect to complete their degree in the next 12-18 months. We are currently seeking students to intern summer 2022.
As a Research Intern you will experience the day-to-day activities of the Research group. Research Interns are expected to help produce high-quality, academically grounded research to support and enhance our investment strategies and for client education. Interns will gain an understanding of what it's like to be a full-time Researcher at Dimensional, as they will be responsible for projects that meet our firm’s current business needs. The internship length is flexible depending on your academic schedule and can be offered in our Austin, Charlotte, or Santa Monica office.
- Progress toward a PhD from a top-tier school in a discipline such as finance, economics, engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or similar.
- Applicants must have completed their PhD coursework and plan to defend their dissertation within the next 12-18 months (ABD).
- Excellent quantitative problem-solving and analytic skills.
- Ability to communicate financial and economic concepts, in both oral and written form.
- Self-starter who can manage multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
- Strong programming skills in one or more languages, such as C#, C++, Fortran, R, SAS, or Stata.
- Experience doing empirical research with large datasets.
- Must be authorized to work in the US. If you are an F1 student requiring sponsorship in the future, your program must be STEM and eligible for the 2 year OPT extension.