University Relations - IT Technical Summer Intern - Chicago/Richardson
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 23,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
** This ten-week paid internship can be located in Chicago, IL OR Richardson, TX. **
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position is responsible for actively participating in an Internship program that leverages your skills, knowledge and capabilities within the IT function while exposing you to different methodologies and tools. This role will assist with applying emerging technologies to assist with developing best-in-class systems and solutions for our clients and members. Working closely with cross-functional teams in both our business and technical areas the IT Intern responsible for learning specific aspects of the processes, programs and technology. Additional project support, administrative tasks and ad hoc requests to support business needs.
– Comply with HIPAA, Diversity Principles, Corporate Integrity, Compliance Program policies and other applicable corporate and departmental policies.
– Maintain complete confidentiality of company business.
– Maintain communication with management regarding development within areas of assigned responsibilities and perform special projects as required or requested.
– Create a final internship PowerPoint presentation to share with department leadership covering the internship experience, the assigned project over the course of the summer, including the results along with any solutions or recommendations that can be leveraged by the department in the future.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
– Prior related technical internship or work experience is a plus
– Volunteerism or leadership experience is a plus
– Involvement in IT related Associations/Organizations or participation in relevant technical competitions is a plus
– Eagerness to learn, grow and contribute
– Demonstrated interpersonal skills including clear and concise verbal and written communication
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills
– Results-oriented with a continuous improvement mindset and an ability to grasp new and unfamiliar concepts
– Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize and support multiple projects
– Practical, developed PC skills, especially Office 365 and virtual team collaboration tools (MS Teams, SharePoint, etc.)
– Interest in the healthcare payer industry or beginning a career in IT
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
– Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Cybersecurity or other related technical degree
– Graduation date between December 2022 – June 2023
– A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
– Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
– Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States (currently, we are not offering this program under OPT or CPT or sponsoring work visas for these roles)
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
– Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
– Challenging real-world hands-on project
– Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
– Professional development workshops
– Business Resource Group involvement
– Volunteer activities