Sr. Processor & Chip Design Summer Intern: 2022
As a Hardware Developer at IBM, you’ll get to work on the systems that are driving the quantum revolution and the AI era. Join an elite team of engineering professionals who enable IBM customers to make better decisions quicker on the most trusted hardware platform in today’s market.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are hiring! We are seeking dynamic, smart and hardworking engineers to be a part of a world-class microprocessor development team that pioneer innovations for industry-leading hardware in IBM Systems. This will be a highly visible role where you will be at the center of processor design efforts interfacing with multiple teams to deliver an excellent quality product. These systems include world class Input/Output (I/O) virtualization, hardware based algorithmic acceleration, flash technology, and secure cryptography. This technology is the foundation for innovations in support of the cloud, mobile, and data analytic computing. Hardware Development engineers participate in various aspects of the development and test process, such as:
• Logic Design Engineer : This role offers you challenging work on leading edge technologies and methodologies and the ability to make an impact on your industry. Responsible for defining the digital circuitry of future processors, FPGA-based hardware accelerators, and I/O interfacing designs (e.g., cryptography, flash RAID memory controllers, and data routers). Close teaming skills required to complete the execution of complex instructions and algorithms. Challenging product requirements open up opportunities to implement innovative solutions in current products and influence the architecture/micro architecture of future processors and systems.
• Verification Engineer : Verification is performed at various levels within the design hierarchy. This role enables you to work on pre-silicon verification of the logical design of future IBM processors, cache and memory hierarchy, and full systems. Use state-of-the-art techniques to simulate and verify the designs of these custom microprocessor-based systems. The job entails creating environments and methodologies for simulating the VHDL input, as well as analysis and problem debug.
• VLSI Circuit Design /Physical Design/ Integration Engineer: As a physical and electrical design engineer you will work on developing high frequency microprocessor chips. This job entails designing, coordinating and managing clock and power distribution across all levels. In addition to that you will work towards optimizing buffering and wiring to meet timing, yield, and manufacturability constraints. It will be essential to use, drive, and/or develop automated tools and methodology to improve design productivity.
• Processor Millicode and Support Element Firmware Development Engineer : Responsible for high quality design, coding, simulation, test, debug and support of product in customer environment. Candidate may implement complex z/Architecture instructions, complex concurrent/recovery functions, as well as hardware initialization & Chip Selftest, Hardware Diagnostic and Repair Functions. Millicode development requires a proficiency in Assembly (Assembler) Programming, Knowledge of Computer Architecture/Microarchitecture, Processor Chip Hardware Development, Processor Kernel/Operating System Programming experience helpful.
• Virtual Bring-up / System characterization Engineer : Design engineers working in virtual bring-up (VBU) and system characterization experience seeing the entire life-cycle of a processor from the design phase all the way through to wafer test and eventually powering on in a system. The VBU phase involves executing all the steps necessary in the powering on of a system for the first time. In a virtual environment using software models, the processor is tested for logic errors, millicode is exercised, hardware procedures are written and all the steps through to the IPL of the system software are written and tested. System characterization involves analyzing, measuring and collecting the data on the various characteristics of the processor chip while running processor functional workloads and varying the voltage and frequency.
These are office-based positions in IBM locations including:
- NY- Poughkeepsie
- TX- Austin
- MN- Rochester
Opportunities in these locations will vary based on business demand & will be deleted as filled.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Desire to learn and work in the processor design engineering team. Basic knowledge in Logic design (VHDL), Programming skills (Python, PERL, C++, etc.).
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
VLSI circuit design, static timing analysis and simulation using PSPICE
Programming skills (Python, PERL, C++, etc.) and experience with CADENCE Virtuoso are a plus
For Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), knowledge of Altera or Xilinx technologies is also a plus
No matter where you work in IBM, you are making an impact. As an Early Professional with IBM, you will be taking on a key role with one of our industry-leading business units to work on the technology that is solving our most challenging problems and changing the way the world thinks
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
·12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
·World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
·Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
·Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
·Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
·Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
·Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
·Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.