Classification & Compensation Analyst
Hiring Wage: $65,000/yr + DOE
Status: Full time with benefits
Closing Date: September 30, 2021
Application Materials: Apply online at adacounty.id.gov/jobs
About Us: Ada County is a rewarding place to work. As an Ada County employee, you will serve in your communities, contributing to making Ada County a great place to live. Ada County employees are given opportunities for advancement and career growth as well as a generous Benefits Package for benefit-eligible employees including paid parental leave, competitive health, dental, and vision insurance, PERSI retirement plan, and much more.
Provides direct support to elected offices, departments, and divisions in the areas of classification and compensation. Proactively performs specialized activities in position classification, job evaluation, and salary administration. Maintains a classification and compensation program for Ada County. Conducts internal and external salary surveys to ensure market competitiveness. Performs other human resource activities to include employee relations, policy development, recruitment, employment law compliance, and HR special projects. Ensures compliance with new and existing federal and state guidelines.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
This position works under minimal supervision and carries out work assignments in accordance with instructions, policies, previous training, or accepted human resource practices.
· Researches and recommends appropriate job classification and compensation structure for Ada County positions;
· Reviews job descriptions and determines Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) status;
· Maintains and updates job classification and position database;
· Assists supervisors, managers, Human Resource staff, and others in writing, analyzing, and interpreting job classification related documents and specifications;
· Reviews departmental compensation requests for consistency and equity;
· Makes recommendations regarding job classification and compensation short and long-term goals and objectives to the Human Resources Manager, department heads, and elected officials;
· Provides advice on compensation related issues such as: new hire salaries, promotions, reclassifications, salary adjustments, and reorganizations;
· Participates in market salary surveys to ensure competitive pay practices;
· Conducts internal salary surveys/audits to ensure compliance with county, state and federal and regulations including Title VII, FLSA, EEOC, etc.
· Conducts periodic job audits;
· Works with employees and supervisors to discuss and resolve job classification and compensation disputes;
· Participates with HR team on projects and goals;
· Interprets and explains human resource rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
· May conduct training for managers and employees on human resource related topics;
· May consult with departments and offices regarding position and organizational structures, including reporting structures;
· May process personnel actions for consistency and accuracy in a timely manner to meet payroll deadlines;
· Performs related duties as required.
· A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Human Resource Management or a related field and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in human resources, including at least three (3) years of experience in job analysis and compensation, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
· Professional certification as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), Professional in Human Resources (PHR), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), or Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) is preferred;
· Knowledge of standard position classification methods and techniques, including salary surveys, job audits, organizational relationships, internal and external comparisons, class specifications, and slotting;
· Knowledge of job design and compensation plan designs, including base pay, variable pay, and market pricing;
· Knowledge of merit systems principles and practices;
· Knowledge of the principles and best practices of human resource management, employee development, mentoring, and employee relations;
· Knowledge of applicable employment laws and regulations;
· Knowledge of effective employee supervision and motivation;
· Skill in reviewing, editing ,and creating position descriptions and evaluating for placement in a job series and compensation band;
· Skill in research methods and techniques;
· Skill in compensation techniques, theory, practices, methods, programs, and plans;
· Skill in preparing and analyzing statistical reports;
· Skill in prioritizing multiple projects and deadlines;
· Skill in working effectively with individuals at all levels: employees, managers, department heads, and elected officials;
· Ability to effectively use MS Excel at an advanced level;
· Ability to effectively use MS Word, PowerPoint, and other applicable software at an intermediate level;
· Ability to interpret and explain laws, regulations, policies, and procedures;
· Ability to explain complex information in an understandable fashion and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and make presentations in group settings;
· Ability to adapt to changing business needs and conditions;
· Ability to exercise tact and discretion;
· Ability to work under own initiative and utilize independent judgment;
· Ability to work as a member of a team to accomplish division and department goals;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of human resource issues and records.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
· This position requires sustained periods using a keyboard and performing other computer work;
· This position may require long periods of sitting or standing;
· This position may travel throughout the county and conduct audits of jobs that require fieldwork.
Employee Benefits: Ada County recognizes that employees are our most valuable asset. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to benefit-eligible employees designed to support the health, wellness, and long-term financial stability of our employees and their families. Visit us at adacounty.id.gov/Human-Resources/Employee-Benefits to view details regarding our benefits package, including: paid parental leave, healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, and more!