Software Engineering Internship (Fall 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Bellevue, WA
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
- Sparks, NV
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly motivated software engineering students who thrive in a fast-paced environment and want to apply CS concepts to real world projects. Our software engineers are incredibly talented and responsible for many of Tesla’s innovations including Autopilot, Tesla Superchargers and Tesla Maps! Interns in this organization will be part of a collaborative team of engineers who push the boundaries of Tesla products and services.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Applications Engineering: The Applications Engineering team builds the platforms and applications that are the backbone of Tesla’s day-to-day operations. From the software that automates our factories, to the platform that processes your payment transactions and everything in-between, these teams build applications in-house from scratch so that we have total control as a company. Our platforms and applications allow Tesla to scale and provide the best end-to-end experience for our employees and customers.
- Autopilot Navigation & Maps: Tesla is a leader in Autopilot technology and we’re building the world's best in-car navigation experience. These two fields overlap in the role of Maps Engineer Intern. We're looking for motivated interns who are interested in software engineering and are up to the challenge. In this role you will help implement next generation algorithms on top of large amounts of data from the Tesla fleet. This is a cornerstone on which ‘Navigate’ on Autopilot and ‘Smart Summon’ are implemented. In addition, the same data will drive more efficient routing and better turn-by-turn navigation for customers.
- Energy Software: The Energy Software team works on IoT platforms that support Powerwall, Powerpack, Megapack, Tesla Solar, Solar Roof, Powerhub, Supercharger, Autobidder, Model S/3/X, and the Tesla App. We have multiple software engineering internship positions open for UI and frontend development, cloud and distributed systems, and embedded firmware.
- Factory Software: The Factory Engineering team is responsible for building infrastructure solutions that allow the company to redefine manufacturing and production. We focus on implementing effective software advances, distributed fault-tolerant computing, and modern user- experience to manufacturing systems throughout Tesla.
- Infrastructure Engineering: The Infrastructure Engineering team designs and implements a diverse set of services and tools that power our internal software and processes. The projects you support will have a significant impact on the business and will allow us to grow at exceptional speeds. A strong candidate will either be an excellent software generalist, or someone who has an exceptionally strong backend and infrastructure background.
- Service Engineering: The Service Engineering team develops tools, processes, and informational content that multiplies the efforts of the field support team. They bridge the gap between what happens with our products in the field and how they’re designed in engineering. Interns on this team will work on areas such as creating software tools for diagnostics and technical content editing.
- Supply Chain & Ops Automation: The Supply Chain & Ops Automation team owns several internal tools that make Tesla much more efficient, such as real time tracking of materials, AI and pattern recognition, and automated vision systems in warehouses and production lines. As an intern, you’ll have the opportunity to work on and learn from these cutting-edge and hugely impactful Software projects.
- Vehicle Software: The Vehicle Software team lies at the forefront of innovation, constantly pushing the boundaries of performance and in-car experiences. From maps and Autopilot navigation, to over-the-air updates, interns will work side by side expert engineers to create services and features that set our vehicles apart from the competition.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- Proficiency in one or more of the following developer skills: Python, Go, Java, C/C++, Ruby, SQL or other common industry languages
- Familiarity with database concepts such as MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle
- Excellent grasp of fundamental computer science concepts and ability to write well-organized code
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate