Licensed Vocational Nurse / Practical Nurse (Houston, TX)
Strategic Resources, Inc. (SRI) is an international, ISO 9001:2015 Certified, CMMI Level 3 Rated full-service provider with more than 33 years’ experience in the Federal, military, and commercial marketplaces. SRI is seeking full-time committed and passionate Licensed Vocational Practical Nurses to join our team to provide critical services to detainees in custody at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Services Corps (IHSC) Medical Facilities in support of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Services Corps (IHSC) Detention Center Healthcare contract opportunity.
SRI offers our full-time employees a competitive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability plans, vacation time and holidays. Please visit the SRI career page at https://www.sri-hq.com/careers/learn-more.
The ICE IHSC exists within the organizational structure of the United States Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE detainee health care. IHSC is committed to excellence in detention and correctional health care and the provision of safe and high-quality care to those in ICE custody.
Description of Duties
Nurses are the largest group of health care providers within IHSC staffed facilities, providing care 24 hours per day. As part of a comprehensive primary care team (nurses, medical providers, dental providers, behavioral health providers, administrative staff), Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses in IHSC practice in a collaborative environment providing ambulatory, emergency, mental health, and infirmary care. Common activities Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses carry out include intake screening identify conditions requiring referral or treatment, administering medications, supporting other providers in clinic, and providing a wide range of treatments such as wound care, electrocardiograms, ear lavage, phlebotomy, nebulizer therapy, and tuberculosis skin tests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and/or competencies.
- Administers medications as ordered. Medications may be given via the oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, topical, ophthalmic, and other enteral and parenteral routes.
- Performs prescreening and intake screening of patients newly arrived at the facility. Uses established intake tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring abnormal findings or responses to a registered nurse, medical provider, dental provider, or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Performs various treatments such as wound care, vital sign checks, electrocardiograms, etc. as ordered by a medical provider, dental provider, behavioral health provider, or registered nurse.
- Collects laboratory specimens and performs point-of-care testing or prepares specimens for laboratory processing. Takes appropriate action on lab results received.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders emergency care to stabilize patient and prevent deterioration, and transfers patient to appropriate level of care.
- Assists other health care professionals through the gathering of subjective and objective data, provision of aspects of care, educating patients, etc.
- May be required to participate in involuntary, court-ordered care.
Required Education and Experience:
- Graduate from a Vocational/Practical Nurse program approved by a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory.
- Must have a minimum of one-year experience in a hospital, medical office, or outpatient clinical setting.
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting preferred.
- Maintains current, full, and unrestricted LVN/LPN license by the state in which the duty station is located, or a compact state that allows practice in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association.
- Certified Correctional Health Professional or Certified Corrections Nurse credential preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web-based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
Attributes and Professional Qualities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
Duty Hours / On-Call Requirements:
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full-time position requires availability during core hours.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking or jogging unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment.
- The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities.
- Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render a Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial and subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.
- Must have resided in the U.S. or its territories for three (3) or more years out of the last five (5) years.
SRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer