Cultural Resource Management Intern
Northwest Youth Corps – AmeriCorps 480 Hour
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Willamette Valley Project
Position Title: Cultural Resource Management Intern– 480 HR
The USACE, Willamette Valley Project is recruiting two 480 Hour Cultural Resource Management Interns beginning early/mid-June through August 2022. These positions will assist with cultural resource management at 13 reservoirs that compose the Willamette Valley System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Major duties are related to identification, monitoring, and management of precontact, protohistoric, and historic cultural resources that span the most recent 10,000 years of history. Cultural resources stewards will work closely with professional archaeologists to undertake fieldwork. *Percentages describe the estimated amount of time expected on each task.
Specific activities include:
- 80% Fieldwork - pedestrian and subsurface surveys, condition assessments, and collection of spatial, narrative, and photographic data related to cultural resources
- 20% Office work – data entry to maintain Corps libraries and databases, resource form preparation, and basic use of ArcMap
- Ability to work outdoors in remote settings, uneven terrain and inclement weather
- Willingness to work with a crew in an outdoor setting and a positive attitude
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. and use shovels, trowels and screens
- Experience reading maps and navigating outdoors
- Good written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail for notetaking and data entry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word programs
- Must be comfortable riding in a boat
- Must have a current driver’s license
- Willingness to submit to a government background investigation
- Knowledge of Pacific Northwest archaeology and history, particularly Willamette Valley
- College coursework in anthropology of North America and/or cultural resource management
- Experience using GPS units
- Interest in conservation and resource management
Duties are performed at Dexter Service Center, 40386 W Boundary Road, Lowell, Oregon, 97452. Fieldwork may occur at any of the 13 reservoirs in the Willamette Valley System. Member is responsible for their own housing.
Terms of Employment:
Each AmeriCorps member will complete a term of service (length dependent on commitment of hours), starting
June through August 2022. The member must complete a minimum of 480 service hours by the end of their
term. The member will receive a 30-minute lunch each day and this lunch break does not count towards
AmeriCorps member service hours. Training will not exceed 20% of total member service hours.
- $7680 living allowance, prorated on a pay period (monthly) basis
- $1678.57 education award upon completion of the 480 hours of service.
- $225 total boot stipend, $225 total rubber boot stipend, $290 total rain gear stipend, $305 total
Wilderness First Aid training stipend
The living allowance and education award are taxable. Members are responsible for providing their own food.
Service eligibility is contingent upon the results of a criminal background check.
Application Deadline: April 2022
Interviews: Will occur as qualified applications are received.
Type of position: AmeriCorps Internship
Service Dates: June – August 2022
Length of Term: 480 Hours
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references and completely fill out the application form found at https://nwyouthcorps.workbrightats.com/jobs/
If you have questions about the position, please reach Northwest Youth Corps Internship Program Officer Liv
Kelley at email@example.com or Molly Casperson at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 Protocols: We have developed and facilitated industry leading COVID management protocols that
are in place to keep our members and staff healthy, and have maintained an excellent safety record. Read our
COVID protocols by visiting www.nwyouthcorps.org/m/covid19
All job offers are contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background check. NYC recommends that all participants be full vaccinated for COVID-19.
The member will not engage in any prohibited activities as stated in the Member Service Agreement.