Health Information Specialist/Program Assistant
Skills, Transitions, Exploration and Progress (STEP) Program is a partnership between Kaiser Permanente and Seneca Family of Agencies. STEP provides intensive, short-term and stabilization services enabling youth to reintegrate into school and the community with lower levels of outpatient mental health treatment. STEP clients participate in daily groups, attend family therapy sessions, meet with a psychiatrist, and receive case management and medication management services.
If you’re passionate about equitable mental healthcare, join our team of amazing Health Information Specialists! As a Health Information Specialist, you will work with clinicians, counselors, and program leaders to track and update billing charts for youth and families enrolled in our various programs. This role is a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with the behind-the-scenes operations that make a nonprofit successful. You will use your analytical skills to prioritize projects, manage billing logistics, and communicate with your team who is equally passionate about helping children and families through the most difficult times of their lives.
At Seneca Family of Agencies, we pride ourselves on building a team of diverse staff and strongly encourage people of color to apply. Our programs are deeply engaged in conversations and trainings on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to bring equity and justice to the youth and families we serve. The driving force behind our growth is our commitment to providing traditionally marginalized communities a network of outstanding mental health, community-based, and educational services.
- Create and maintain client records for assigned program(s) according to HIPAA, Joint Commission, and Seneca regulations.
- Monitor and track required documentation, ensuring accurate completion according to established programmatic, county, and state guidelines.
- Verify Medicaid eligibility on a monthly basis and as needed through the state and county systems.
- Conduct Quality Assurance review of administrative, clinical, and medical documentation and complete all Mental Health billing to ensure the proper and timely completion of documents.
- Investigate and resolve billing inaccuracies and billing related issues.
- Prepare discharge charts for off-site storage after completing technical and clinical audits. In addition, facilitate offsite records storage through the Iron Mountain vendor.
- Ensure appropriate and timely distribution of Incident Reports.
- Prepare for county and state audits and exchange information with external agencies in a professional manner.
- Update, send and complete the daily youth census, program attendance and process requests for client reports when needed.
- Process Record Requests in compliance with HIPAA rules and Seneca policies and procedures.
- Support as co-facilitator in program groups and provide individual support to youth when needed.
- Coordinate projects and special events as instructed by the Program Director.
- Education/Experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree OR
- Associate’s degree or equivalent and 1 year of applicable work experience OR
- High school diploma/GED and 2 years of applicable work experience
- Applicable work experience includes any administrative position (paid or unpaid) requiring frequent data entry, ability to prioritize multiple projects within strict deadlines, and coordination with multiple departments
- Ability to compile and track documents according to strict guidelines and regulations
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to collaborate with diverse co-workers, partners, and community members
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Clearance of TB test, physical exam, fingerprints and any other mandatory State/Federal requirements
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations and booster
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00pm
- Starting at $20.25 - 22.25 per hour. Actual salary dependent on creditable experience above the minimum qualifications.
- Additional compensation provided upon passing bilingual language proficiency exam.
- Annual performance evaluations provide the potential for a generous salary increase each year.
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and chiropractic coverage, as well as partially paid premiums for dependents.
- Employer-paid Employee Assistance Plan (EAP).
- 4 weeks of flexible paid time off and 11 paid holidays.
- We provide a 403b retirement plan.
- Scholarship opportunities, ongoing training, and professional development opportunities.
Keywords: Non-profit, Nonprofit, Mental Health, Administrative Work, Youth, Advocate, Family, Children, Family, Families, Behavioral Health, Healthcare, Medi-Cal, Quality Assurance, Healthcare Billing, Billing, Medi-Cal Billing