Stewards VISTA: Montezuma School to Farm
The Montezuma School to Farm Project (MSTFP) unites our local agricultural heritage with our growing future by engaging students at the crossroads of food production, resource conservation, and nutrition through educational experiences. MSTFP maintains seven school gardens, provides a variety of hands-on lessons to students across Montezuma County throughout the school year, offers K-5 summer programs, and provides paid summer opportunities for local high school students to grow and gain confidence in food production. In addition, MSTFP collaborates with community partners such as local food distribution centers, CSU Extension, and local conservation districts to provide training and workshops to community members. MSTFP annually distributes over 5,000 lbs. of school garden-grown produce to distribution partners and provides tastings as part of MSTFP programming to increase students’ exposure and consumption of whole, unprocessed foods.
In collaboration with key MSTFP staff, board, and volunteers, VISTA responsibilities will include:
1. Working closely with the Executive Director and Education Director to bolster programming, including developing and improving teaching materials, and establishing relationships with the school’s administration and teaching staff, and other day-to-day operations within the nonprofit.
2. Working closely with community partners to strengthen current collaborations, expand collaboration with new partners, and improve programs such as food distribution and community workshops.
3. Work with staff in the research, preparation, and submission of grant proposals to secure future funding for the MSTFP.
4. Researching and developing new and diverse funding streams with the goal of increasing the financial sustainability of the organization.
5. Develop content for main website, the interactive kid’s website, social media, and all other media for the organization.
Program Benefits: Living Allowance, Relocation Allowance, Training, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Health Coverage*, Childcare assistance if eligible, Professional development.
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
Car recommended, Uniforms provided.
Education, Children/Youth, Community and Economic Development, Community Outreach, Health, Tribal, Environment, Hunger.